The following are my notes from last Sun. Oct. 9th:
Thank you Kathye, as she introduced me, I am Andrew, Alex and Tanner’s grandmother, a privilege I hold high on the list of honors I have in life. Each member of AAT’s family have their own privileged status for being their Mother; Sister; Grandfather; Aunt; Uncle and cousins. My Father the boys’ Great Grandpa at 91 yrs of age is here today, he holds the privilege of being at the highest level of father status for a family of 65 including 1 deceased son; 2 deceased granddaughters and the 3 missing boys. I call our Dad the energizer bunny for he has bounced back from several life threatening health issues. He was asked one day how is your family? He answered, “Empty.” He holds the firm belief that AAT are out there with someone. Others of you are their classmates, teachers, neighbors, their pastor or a community member who knew them by sight. The rest of you know them by what happened Nov. 26, 2010. You too are privileged in the status you hold for AAT.
Each of you here today and those who have touched us in some way since Nov. 26, 2010 have been a reflection of Christ, for we have seen Him through you. Paul tells the Ephesians in Chapter 5 verse 8 this, “In the past you were full of darkness, but now you are full of light in the Lord (allow me to paraphrase this last portion, YOU are FULL of LIGHT in the LORD). The rest of this verse goes on to say, “So live like children who live in the light.”I take the opportunity now to reflect on Andrew, Alexander and Tanner. Memories, which can never be taken from us. On that camping trip in Oct. 2010, the pictures you have seen of the boys in their camouflage jackets were taken. I share this special moment. Several of us set off for a walk through the wooded area of Harrison Lake, on that walk the boys began picking up tree branches, Tanners was pretty long and so he used it as a walking stick. As I watched him, I had the fondest memory of his Great Papa Bus (whom he never met) when he went out walking would pick up a tree branch and use it for a walking stick. I am thankful we caught Tanner with his walking stick in photos. Alexander’s was short and he was so proud of that short branch. He thought on the way back that his Mom told him to drop his branch and so he did. He began crying and when the other discovered he has dropped it (actually thrown it) they searched and recovered it for him. What a simple thing from nature that would bring joy to a young boy’s life.
I share a special moment with Andrew not from camping but from a discussion we had. Andrew was visiting as he often did and I had to set a rule for him about the time he spent on the electronic games in our home. After a short time, Andrew came to sit on the arm of the recliner I was in put his arm around my shoulder and he stated, “Grandma, I think we need to talk about this.” Just matter of fact, very grown up but he needed to discuss with me the why, for the limitation I had set for him. Andrew, Alex and Tanner loved visiting my parents in the nursing home. It had been awhile since they had been to see them. Andrew said to his Mom, don’t you think it is about time we went to see Papa Bill and so within a few days off we would go to see Papa Bill. They would give hugs and kisses, Papa would tease and tickle them, and they always left with some treasure, maybe a stuffed animal or a piece of candy.
They loved walking to and from school and with our home being just a block away they would have their Mother, Tanya drop them at our drive, of course they had to be sure we got hugs and kisses before they left for the walk (running most days) to school. When the weather permitted they would ride their bikes and park them in our garage and finish by walking, since they were not allowed to ride bikes to school.They loved to spend the night and would beg often to do so, especially when one of their cousins stayed over too.
Zoo trips; camping, Easter Egg hunts, Soccer games, Halloween Trick or Treat, Christmas and just being together with family highlighted our times together. Always with those infectious smiles; the grown up reasoning of Andrew; the argumentative attitude of Alex and the “Ha-ha” from Tanner when he would get you with one of his “tall tales.” I have put a lot of thought to words over the past 11 mos. and I want to share a couple I feel we have had to overcome as a family.
Anger: Yes we have been angry, so I go to scripture and share with you, Ephesians 4:26 “When you are angry, do not sin, and be sure to stop being angry before the end of the day. Do you hear that Paul did not say do not get angry but he said WHEN you are angry. Then he adds do not sin. You see we must not react to the act that took AAT from us, we must respond. When we turn to prayer we must pray for John Skelton, that God will soften this man’s heart, that John Skelton will become so convicted that he have no other choice but to come forth with where AAT are.Judgment: We all waited for the trial to begin, we all wanted to see justice in the court system. And so it came and judgment was passed and a sentence was brought down, 10 to 15 yrs. I want you all to know that we are not disappointed in the sentence that was handed down, John Skelton is in prison where he belongs. Chief Larry Weeks who stands among you today, will not stop until he brings AAT home and when he does new charges will be brought against John Skelton and as the prosecutor said on that sentencing day, they will come get you (John Skelton).
In Romans 14:10 Paul writes, “So why do you judge your brothers and sisters in Christ? And why do you think you are better than they are? We will all stand before God to be judged.” I will stand boldly before God, maker of heaven and earth and I will face my judgment, and yes so will John Skelton along with each and every one of us.
We are asked “how do you go on?” There is no way to go on alone, so we go with God. I have been accused of being strong, I do not believe I am, but Christ through me is. For this I read Ephesians 3:16 “I ask the Father in his great glory to give you the power to be strong inwardly through his Spirit. And Ephesians 6:14-18 (some of my favorite verses) “So stand strong, with the belt of truth tied around your waist and the protection of right living on your chest. On your feet wear the Good News of peace to help you stand strong. And also use the shield of faith with which you can stop all the burning arrows of the Evil One. Accept God’s salvation as your helmet and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Pray in the Spirit at all times with all kinds of prayers, asking for everything you need. To do this you must always be ready and never give up. Always pray for all God’s people.You may ask, “Why a prayer vigil after all this time? I answer Why not? We must keep AAT before this nation, for they are not home.
No comments:
Post a Comment