Monday, February 10, 2014

Denying Self and Taking Up My Cross

God has my attention this morning, but it all began yesterday, His day of rest, my day of worship and praise.

In Sunday School we discussed how do we deny self and live daily for Christ.

Luke 9: 23-25 "Then he said to them all: 'if anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?'"

In worship we were asked to fill in a chart of what we did every half hour the day before. Looking the at how we spent our time and then listing what is important to us.  How did our day reflect what is important?

To change our life we must change our perspective, change our priorities.

Psalm 39: 4,5 "Show me, O Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath."

My husband Don and I then attended at Quiz Meet our churches team was participating in.  We witnessed teens from area churches answer questions on the Old Testament life of the Israelites and Moses leading them out of Egypt.

On to the Mark 209 concert our own Living Hope Free Methodist church hosted. The church was within moments filled with the presence of the Holy Spirit.  Lives were changed last night. I was challenged and reminded of my commitment to stand up and speak out for Christ. 

Mark 20:24 "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.

This morning I am seeking God for what is important to me. 


“I used to think the spiritual life was mostly about finding and using our gifts for God’s glory–my utmost for His highest. More and more, I think it is not this, not first, not most. At root, the spiritual life consists in choosing the way of littleness. I become less so that Jesus might become greater. Its essence is No–No to myself, my impulses and cravings, my acts of self-promotion and self-vindication, my use of power for its own sake. It calls me to deny myself possessions, rights, conquests that I’m tempted to claim just because I can. It is growing, day by day, into the same attitude that Christ had, and by exactly the same means: emptying myself, giving myself. It is refusing to grasp what I think is owed me and instead embracing what I think is beneath me.” ~ Mark Buchanan, The Rest of God

Today I am on my knees, as I reflect on what God wants me to hear from yesterday's teaching and worship.   I invite you too to join me and get on your knees.

This is my prayer:
Dear Jesus, come into my heart this day, I confess to you any sins I have committed and seek forgiveness.  I seek you to show me the way to deny myself, take up my cross and follow you.  Show me the way to change my life by changing my perspective and my priorities.  Where am  I to share your gospel this day Lord, I am ready to continue the race. 
In Jesus' name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment